Registration for this course has now closed but make sure to register your details below and be amongst the first to hear when the next one starts.
Future Governance In Sport courses will offer similar sessions. You can view the full details further down this page.
Purpose of the course:
The Forum will offer training, development and support which will help current and aspiring board members further their knowledge and experience of how to govern effectively in the world of sport.
Who is this course for?
Current board members or senior professionals aiming to be “board-ready” for director positions.
Nex course – TBC
12 online sessions and 1 day training course
Seamus Gillen BA MBA FCIS FCG
These sessions will be hosted by international governance expert Seamus Gillen and will feature specialist insight from a range of guests.
After a career working as a Chartered Secretary, a company secretary and company director, and as Policy Director of ICSA, the Chartered Governance Institute, Seamus has spent the past 15 years advising clients around the UK, and internationally, on their governance journeys.
The PSBL Certified Board Director course will meet online monthly on the first Tuesday of every month from 5.30pm to 7pm. It will bring together all those who have an interest in the issue of governance and teach what good governance looks like, how good practice in governance can be applied to the world of sport, and how individuals can bring that training to bear to develop the skills needed to become an effective director
- The purpose of an organisation and the purpose of a board
- A short history of the evolution of governance, including sports governance
- Directors’ duties and liabilities
- The role of the Chair, the CEO, and other board members, including the Secretary
- Delivering accountability to stakeholders, and protecting the organisation’s brand and reputation
- Formulating and delivering strategy, and holding management to account
- Achieving effective oversight of the entity’s risk management and controls regime
- Board leadership, Board composition and succession planning
- Achieving difference (diversity) in the boardroom and its effect on decision-making
- Purpose, vision, mission, values, culture and behaviours
- Board organisation – meetings, agendas, committees
- Board dilemmas
At the end of the year, participants will be invited to attend a day of training, at the end of which they will receive a Certificate signifying that they are ‘board-ready’ and equipped to bring behavioural and technical expertise, and qualities of judgement and sound decision-making to board positions for which they wish to apply. PBSL-certificated directors will establish a new standard of governance inside sports bodies.
This course is free to PBSL members and is included as part of their membership package*
Subject to availability, other sports industry professionals can take part in the first session of this course with a PBSL Essentials membership. After hearing more about the course, should Essentials members want to continue with it, they can join at a cost of £30 per month or upgrade to a full PBSL membership and receive all the benefits that come with it.
The final one day training session to secure certification is available at the subsidised rate of £95 to PBSL+ members, £150 to all other PBSL members and £275 to non-members*.
*Prices exclude VAT
- Be part of a structured learning and development programme based on good-practice governance thinking
- Use the learning to improve your performance, and strengthen your knowledge of governance
- Achieve PBSL Certification as a ‘board-ready’ director
- Build up your CPD record, receiving a Certificate after each session – equivalent to 36 hours (five days) of training
- Develop your professional network
- Exclusive access to guest speakers
- Sessions – hosted on Zoom – last for 90 minutes, and involve a presentation, discussion, Q&A and conclusions
- All sessions are recorded and made available – video, slides, and chat box content – exclusively to Group members in a Membership Area.
- A private Members-only LinkedIn group offers a platform for support, posting of content, and conversation